Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer is for Sweaters!


Yay for summertime knitting! I know you might think knitting is a fall/winter craft, but if so you are really missing out on some sweet summertime knitting. I am addicted to knitting summer sweaters and I just finished another one.


Summer sweaters are great for many reasons:
  • Quick to knit (because no sleeves)
  • Cool and comfortable to wear
  • Summer yarns are fun - linen, silk, hemp and cotton!
  • Did I mention no sleeves?


My new sweater is the Silken Straw Summer Sweater pattern which is free from Purlbee. I knit this out of our crisp Shibui Linen. Shibui Linen is a fingering weight 100% linen yarn that is chain-plied. The chain ply means absolutely no pilling or shedding. It is going to hold up like a dream. We also have the Silken Straw yarn from Alchemy yarn in if you want a more luxurious and drapey sweater.


This sweater used 3 1/2 skeins of the color Poppy for the size small. I knit this up in just three weeks. The sweater comes together super quick and easy as it is knit seamlessly in the round from the bottom up. This pattern would make a great first sweater pattern. It is also perfect for pool or beach knitting as it requires little concentration. The sleeves, bottom and neck are all finished with a sophisticated I-cord that is added after the garment is done.


The Shibui Linen yarn feels very different from knitting with elastic and stretchy wool. I love this bright summery color, the drape, and the feel of this sweater. Linen was really easy to block and I simply ironed this sweater with my steam iron and it looks perfect.


You might not see this one up in the shop because I am going to wear it all the time. Summer Knitting for the win!

1 comment:

Jeanne Lois said...

holy yes for the win!