Thursday, October 06, 2011

Jaime's Icelandic Lopi Sweater

About a year ago, Amber and I went on an epic knitting journey to Iceland. We were able to learn about the Icelandic knitting traditions, go on tons of magical Icelandic adventures and meet and make friends with many amazing knitters. Iceland has a rich knitting tradition and Icelanders take great pride in it. On our journey we picked out some Lopi yarn and started our Icelandic Lopi sweaters. We took classes with Ysolda Teague who helped us to write our own patterns perfectly suited to our body type as well as Ragga Eiriksdottir who taught us how to do the colorwork yoke.


I started my sweater on the plane back from Iceland and just finished it a few weeks ago. I absolutely love it! The fit is perfect thanks to the shaping techniques that Ysolda taught us in our class. Denverites, you are very lucky because Ysolda will be teaching a very similar class here at Fancy Tiger Crafts in just a few weeks! The colorwork pattern was designed by Ragga and is her Lopapeysa free pattern colorwork design.


I loved loved loved working with the Lopi yarn. Lopi yarn is made from Icelandic sheep which are a rare, dual-coated breed of sheep. Their dual coated wool makes for a super-sturdy, warm and weather-resistant wool. This yarn is a single-ply yarn and has great durability - it's amazing! It is coarser than our more refined Merino sheep, but this is perfect for a garment that will stand the test of time. This sweater will keep me cozy and warm for many many years to come.


My Icelandic Lopi sweater has a special place in my heart. When I wear it I am connected to a rich knitting tradition I am honored to have experienced. Thanks Iceland!

11 comments:

Jeanne Lois said...

JAIME!!! This looks incredible! yayyy i'm so proud/happy for you! woop woop

Tiffany said...

it's beautiful. bravo!

Angelique said...

Jaime, it's be-yoo-tee-ful! Congrats! Finished just in time for winter!!

the Makerie said...

gorgeous!!!

Frank said...

Beautiful!! The colors are great and it fits perfectly. Some cold day in the middle of winter we should all get our Lopi sweaters out! Congrats!

Annie said...

This is so beautiful! Your trip to Iceland sounds amazing.

ThoraSorensen said...

This sweater is AMAZING. You did such a wonderful job with the color choices and overall execution. I love that it's a thick sweater that is clearly meant for cold weather, but that it seems to fit you like a glove.

I wanted to know, however, if you could share the pattern. When I click on the link that you provided, it does not lead to anything. Any help that you can offer will greatly please this new and eager knitter ;)

ThoraSorensen said...

By the way, I realize that you posted this years ago, but I just came across it as I was attempting to recreate the joy that my grandmother gave me when she made me an Icelandic-style sweater when I was in gymnasium.

ThoraSorensen said...

By the way, I realize that you posted this years ago, but I just came across it as I was attempting to recreate the joy that my grandmother gave me when she made me an Icelandic-style sweater when I was in gymnasium.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Iceland at the moment and looking for sweater patterns online. I keep coming back to the picture of your sweater but cannot find the patterns anywhere, could you possibly post a link? Sanna from Finland

Pati said...

Dear Jaime! It looks amazing! I'm living in Iceland at the moment and looking for my first lopi sweater :) I found this beautiful picture of your sweater but cannot find the patterns anywhere :-( Would you be so kind and post a link here? Of course I will do it in my colour variation ;-) Will be great! TAKK in advance!!! 😀